Physician burnout is characterized by 3 distinct domains which can be assessed by the Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI). The prevalence of 'at least one manifestation of burnout' among physicians is 44% and the impacts of burnout on physicians themselves and the patient care they provide are devastating.
Speaker: Julia Keith MD, FRCPC
Target Audience: Pathologists, Residents, Medical Students, PAs, Technicians
CanMEDS Roles: Leader, Health Advocate
At the end of the meeting participants will be able to:
- Describe the phenomenon of physician burnout including its characteristics and prevalence amung physicians in general and Canadian pathologists in particular.
- Identify the potential implications of physician burnout on physicians themselves and the quality of patient care that they provide.
- Apply a framework to justify creating meaningful physician wellness infrastructure.
- Apply a framework to identify various drivers of Canadian pathologist burnout and potential corresponding mitigation strategies.
- Try various departmental and individual strategies that are currently working to mitigate against burnout of Canadian pathologists.
This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and approved by the Canadian Association of Pathologists. You may claim a maximum of 1.0 hour (credits are automatically calculated).