Earn 1 AIA LU/HSW, 0.1 IACET CEU*, 1 GBCI CE Hour, 1 IIBEC CEH
How cladding is attached and supported from the exterior of the wall assembly to the interior structure of the building is no longer just a question of transferring weight. The type of support system used can greatly affect energy performance, air and moisture penetration into the wall cavity, and the effectiveness of the finished design.
Over the last ten years cladding support systems have advanced to address the needs of modern buildings, to meet new code requirements and avoid the causes of issues inside the wall cavity as we learn more about how to select products that work well together - from both a performance and constructability standpoint.
This course walks through the various types of newer cladding support systems on the market today with a goal to help bring more value to the design and product selection process and subsequently to the occupants of new and restored buildings for the future.
- Understand some of the differences between different cladding support systems on the market today and how they can best serve the design process.
- Explain how to improve energy efficiency of exterior walls & meet changing code requirements using more advanced cladding support systems.
- Briefly discuss options to manage the balance between design and load challenges.
- Explore methods to attach panels that will improve thermal performance and cause less punctures to the waterproofing layer.
- Explore cladding support accessories that will help address terminations and corner details.