The COVID-19 global public health emergency has resulted in an international shortage of new filtering facepiece respirators (ex: N95). AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice can help teams understand the role of using decontaminated N95 and how to mitigate risks.
Hot Topic Presenters
Erin Kyle, DNP, RN, CNOR, NEA-BC, Editor in Chief, AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice will:
• Identify the AORN Guidelines that can assist in helping understand the potential risks including: Sterilization, Transmission Based Precautions, and Smoke
• Use the AORN Guidelines to identify how to mitigate potential risks
• Address the current shortages of critical PPE through decontamination
Battelle CCDS™ lead researcher John D. Clay, PhD will cover the science behind the Critical Care Decontamination System™, developed at the request of the FDA as part of a 2015 study to determine how to safely fill the gap in the national supply chain of critical PPE in the event of a pandemic. You will learn:
• Details about the Battelle CCDS™ decontamination methodology and data related to the efficacy and safety of decontamination using vapor-phase hydrogen peroxide (VPHP)
• Insights into Battelle’s ongoing research related to VPHP decontamination efficacy and safety
• Industry perspectives on decontamination strategies
Battelle has delivered 60 CCDS™ systems to help in the fight against the current pandemic and to be an essential part of the U.S. emergency stockpile for future emergency response. To date, more than 2M critical N95 masks have been returned to frontline workers to keep them safe.
Battelle’s founding mission “to translate scientific discovery and technology advances into societal benefit” is as relevant today as when we opened our doors over 90 years ago. Our science and technology enhance society's well-being and create critical innovations that drive scientific advances for the future.